Saturday, June 10, 2006
Pittstown, NJ June 10, 2006
Starting today, Pinky and I will be embarking on what will undoubtedly be the adventure of our lifetimes. Since the first of the year, I have been mentoring a group of Princeton University students on an irrigation and purification project, which will improve conditions in a village in Ethiopia. Along with 9 undergraduate students (5 men, 4 women), we will be flying to Addis Ababa and traveling by Range Rover 4 hours to the community of Kumudo in the Arsi Negelle district of Ethiopia, near the Equator and about 6000 feet above sea level. Thursday it was 63 degrees there when I checked and 63 degrees here, too. This trip will be for implementing the project, which will include a ram pump, which operates on the energy generated by the river, a 7-foot high dam, a discharge pipe, water tank and a drip irrigation system to provide water for the community's gardens. We will also be constructing a sand filter to improve water used for consumption. We will be going to a nearby village once a week to "shower and shave," and I hope we can find a cold beer there, but I hold no serious expectations! I should be able to send e-mail and will try and provide you with an occasional update. The group will be returning July 17, and I expect to be back in my office the next day. Pinky and I will look forward to relating to you our adventures in implementing this project and our experiences with the people of Ethiopia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment