Monday, July 3, 2006
Arsi Negelle, Ethiopia July 3, 2006
With the excavation of the 1 km long waterline from an accessible location in the Haluka R., the completion of the alternate project for providing water to the Kumudo community became a possibility. (I still have reservations about it.) For the remainder of the week, our efforts were concentrated on constructing the intake structure, including a headwall fashioned from a 2-foot diameter 1-meter long concrete pipe. Because of the presence of rock, we had to incorporate 2-90 degree elbows in the 4-inch pvc pipe between the headwall and intake structure. It took a lot of time getting the grades right, chipping away rock, and dewatering as we went. The Princeton EWB group exhibited unbelievable tenacity and hard work in getting the tasks completed, both the men and the women. I am impressed with their work ethic. I have been working harder myself physically than I ever imagined, manning a shovel, pick, saba (similar to a hoe), as well as running levels needed to establish the pipe alignment and to help insure that there are no highs or lows in the line. As it turns out, there are two low points where I've advised placing cleanouts to be used for removing sediment. As of today, the "headwall" and connecting 4-inch pipe are complete, and two lengths of the 24-inch pipe are in place. We expect to pick up an additional length of pipe today and to complete it tomorrow, the 4th of July. The next two weeks will be spent furiously working on placing the 1-inch pvc pipe, testing it and backfilling it, and completing the rock and cement water tank located 1 km downriver from the intake.
At camp we have a pit toilet installed by Engage Now Foundation (ENF), the NGO we have been working with on this project. The pit toilet includes a 5-foot sq. pit dug 3 meters into the earth, a concrete slab with a small hourglass shaped opening, and a sheet metal enclosure. It takes a bit of special skill to use it properly. You have to squat all the way down to your ankles, pull up your pant legs and down your pants to your knees, and aim your butt for the opening. I have it down pretty well now and only missed once, unfortunately when I had a bout of diahrea last week and had to clean up after myself. You also have to secure items when you are in the pit toilet. Last Monday when I was in position, I heard a clunk and looked down to see the bright orange 25-foot measuring tape I had brought with me and clipped to my belt bounce into the opening and out of view - and forever out of service.
Before leaving for Ethiopia, I was smart to order an air mattress. It is powered by a rechargeable motor and has been serving Pinky and me admirably. We sleep in true comfort, free from lumps or hardness, and with our bug-proof tent without insects bothering us. The nights are delightful (except when it rains, which isn't often and for short duration) and cool, perfect for sleeping. The sounds we hear include birds, mules, cattle, dogs and hyenas, which have loud, piercing whines that sound like they are right outside our tent.
I've been using the solar panel Pinky got me for Christmas daily to power up the group cell phone, our cook Melke's cell phone, our air mattress, our iPods, and rechargeable camera batteries. I don' know what we would ever have done without the solar charger, since there is no electricity anywhere near our camp.
Pinky and I celebrated our anniversary June 28 by my being sick all afternoon and evening and not being able to do much at all. However, I recovered by the next day, and we had purchased several bottles of Ethiopian red wine and enjoyed it with all the group on the 29th.
We have been getting along well with the Kumudo community, and many of the men have been helping us with the labor involved with the project. In fact, we all were invited to, and attended, the festivities associated with a wedding at the village "center," when a father gave away his two daughters in marriage. Neither of the brides were willing. In Ethiopia, marriages are arranged by the families. There was much activity in the village, and we were treated as special guests. When we arrived at 3 PM, we were greeted by many of the people and danced with them. We were then escorted into a mud house and served goat tipps with ingerra. They had slaughtered the goat just for us. We were also provided beer and soft drinks. We then went around the village and visited with the villagers as best we could, considering they speak Oromo and we don't. The males of our group had a memorable experience in the men's tent, where there was some serious drinking going on, along with singing and milling around. It was packed tight with people, several of whom were three sheets to the wind. We didn't stay too long there. Toward the end of our stay at the festivities, one of the brides was taken off wrapped up in white cloth on horseback to points unknown. Later, the second (and sullen) bride emerged from a thatched hut after much fanfare and parading of family members to leave in an rv brought in for the occasion. We walked back to camp in the dark after being there more than 4 hours.
Last Friday after a very long day we left for a day of R&R to Dagem Hotel in Awassa, the city from which I sent my previous email. Pinky and I had less than a pinky's worth of water from our shower, but aside from that it was a welcomed change from conditions at camp. Plus the Ethiopian dinner and beer Friday were great.
Work on the siphon will continue over the next two weeks. It will probably take a minor miracle to complete the project in only two weeks, but the group is optimistic and unrelenting in its efforts in achieving its goal of completing it successfully. The day of reckoning will come when we complete the line and prime it and see if it really works and takes water through the intake, along the 1 km pipeline, which passes over several fields and through a rock outcropping, and to the water tank. I'll be reporting further.
Best to you all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment