Saturday, July 1, 2006
Awassa, Ethiopia July 1, 2006
I have very limited time today to send this email and hope to be able
to send another soon. After sending the email from Jack Williams
house, of ENF, last Sunday, I discussed with the group the need to hire
a backhoe if the alternate project is ever to be a reality. The siphon
installation would involve about 1 km of 1-inch PVC pipe, an intake structure, and a headwall at the Haluka R. There was absolutely no way
this could be accomplished with even the whole community digging a
trench. Well, as we were leaving the house in Arsi Negelle and
approaching the highway, a backhoe drove by in front of us. I said, Did
you see that?, and we chased it down. After a brief negotiation
conducted by our driver, Isaiah, the operator agreed to follow us to
the campsite. For the next two days, he dug the trench needed for the
pipe and thereby made it possible for the group to complete the
project. The operator, Tashomo, was a hard worker, and I named him
Wayne, which was much easier for all of us to pronounce.
More later.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment