Several highlights from our time at Tony Trischka's banjo safari in the Pilandsberg Game Preserve, and a few surprises:
We really didn't know what to expect to discover by way of those we were accompanying from the small group sharing a banjo music interest for a week. Well, I have to say I came to appreciate that banjo folks are real, diverse, interesting on a variety of subjects, and just fun to be with. Our days were long, and Tony's sessions were intense, but everyone without exception remained in good humor with a desire to learn and to just have a good time. I saw no crankiness at all at the 5:00 AM daily pre-game ride gathering. We all arrived ready to experience the day's adventure. The eight participants and the few spouses came from all over the country for this experience, from the FL panhandle, to Oregon, to DC, to Chicago, to North Texas, to Boston and VA.
Then there was the one-on-one lesson with Tony - in front of the 7 others! Wow. I think it was only then that Tony realized the extent that I suffer from only being able to play bluegrass banjo "clay style" (a term coined by participant with the coolest name, Ed Goldfinger.) I won't beleaguer you with the problems with this affliction, only it will never permit me to play true bluegrass as Earl Scruggs played it. This I learned and hopefully will propel me to play classic bluegrass as Tony taught us all.
The week's sessions climaxed with the last evening's performance when we all were summoned to play in front or everyone (of course, including Tony, which was nerve wracking for the best of us.) I had the misfortune of following Steve Loggie, the North Texan who is a true pro and sounds just like what I want to sound like. So, what to do? I made a last minute decision to perform something completely different and not in the bluegrass style, and I think it was ok. Tony - and others! - complimented me, and that was all I needed.
Lastly, the most lasting highlight was Tony Trischka himself, who showed class, patience, unparalleled skill in his teaching and play, and was simply one who was approachable and fun to be around.
Traveling all the way to South Africa was a long way to go to go to banjo camp for what is essentially an American music genre. A paradox, yes, but one that could not be done better any other way.
No comments:
Post a Comment